Ear Wax removal
The safest and easiest way to get rid of excess or stubborn earwax is to see a professional. We now offer Ear Wax Microsuction.
What is microsuction earwax removal?
Microsuction earwax removal uses a vacuum to gently remove any excess wax from your ears. It’s one of the most effective services for cleaning your ears and can be completed by one of our pharmacists in store.
Is ear syringing different?
Ear syringing is a technique of removing earwax that involves pushing water through the ear canal to flush out the wax. Although it can be successful, it can have side effects and possible complications, especially if done incorrectly, causing ear infections or impacted earwax. For this reason we do not provide this service.
What to expect at your wax removal appointment
- Your wax removal appointment will take around 20 mins.
- After asking a few questions to get a better understanding of the health of your ears, our pharmacist will examine your ear canals and ear drums by using an otoscope (magnifier with a light).
- We’ll then talk you through the procedure and show you the equipment that will be used and explain how it works. You’ll need to sign a consent form before we remove any wax from your ears.
- Once you are happy to go ahead, our clinician will use a magnifier and suction tube to gently remove any wax that’s in your ear.
- After our clinician has performed the procedure, they will then check the health of your ears.
- If we are unsuccessful in removing any wax, we’ll advise you on your next steps. This may involve returning again after you have softened the wax further. Unlike other providers we do not charge you again if we advise that you need to return.
Softening the wax for your appointment
It may take more than one attempt to remove your wax. It’s important that the wax has been softened to make the procedure as comfortable and effective as possible – so to prepare for your appointment, we’d recommend using olive oil to soften it.
We recommend using olive oil in your ear TWO to THREE times a day for at least 5 days before your appointment. You should use as much oil as your ears will take (until it overflows) and leave the oil to soak in your ear for a minimum of 5 minutes.
This will make the wax much easier to remove.
Before you come in...
Give us a call to speak to the pharmacist before your appointment if you’ve experienced any of the following:
- Any pain within the last 90 days
- Any middle ear infections within the last 90 days
- Any current or recurrent ear infection
- Any past operations in or around the ear
- Suspect you have any foreign bodies in the ear canal
- Suspect you have a perforated eardrum
- Any fluid or discharge from inside your ear within the last 90 days.
If you’re not sure you have wax in your ears, give your store a call for a triage appointment first. This usually only takes 5 minutes and is free of charge.
During your appointment, you might be required to wear a mask to reduce any risk of transmission.